1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup applesauce
4 teaspoons canola oil
2 1/2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups apples cored and chopped (About 2 medium apples)
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
1/3 cup caramel syrup (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease mini muffin pans.
2. In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, all spice, and salt.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, applesauce, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until completely mixed.
5. Fold in the apples and thyme until even distributed through the batter.
6. Pour mixture into the prepared pans and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow cake to cool, about 30 minutes to an hour.
8. (optional) If you like your muffins a little sweeter, drizzle caramel syrup over the hot muffins.
Makes 36 mini muffins.